Tips for Working Beyond Retirement Age
You may be one of many Americans who plan to work into retirement. Some report they need to work because their savings declined over the past several years, while others say they choose to work because of the greater sense of purpose and engagement that working provides.
Whatever your reason for continuing to work into retirement, here are some tips to get the greatest benefit from your efforts.
- Consider delaying Social Security. You can start receiving Social Security retirement benefits as early as age 62, but if you continue to work it may make sense to delay taking it until as late as age 70. This is because your Social Security benefit may be reduced or be subject to income tax due to your other income. In addition, your Social Security monthly benefit increases when you delay starting the retirement benefit. These increases in monthly benefits stop when you reach age 70.
- Pay attention to bracket-bumping. Keep in mind that you may have multiple income streams during retirement that can bump you into a higher tax bracket and make other income taxable if you’re not careful. For example, Social Security benefits are only tax-free if you have less than a certain amount of adjusted gross income ($25,000 for individuals and $32,000 for married filing jointly in 2022), otherwise as much as 85 percent of your benefits can be taxable.
Required distributions from pensions and retirement accounts can also add to your taxable income. Be aware of how close you are to the next tax bracket and adjust your plans accordingly.
- Be smart about health care. When you reach age 65, you’ll have the option of making Medicare your primary health insurance. If you continue to work, you may be able to stay on your employer’s health care plan, switch to Medicare, or adopt a two-plan hybrid option that includes Medicare and a supplemental employer care plan.
- Look over each option closely. You may find that you’re giving up important coverage if you switch to Medicare prematurely while you still have the option of sticking with your employer plan.
- Consider your expenses. If you’re reducing your working hours or taking a part-time job, also consider the cost of your extra income stream. Calculate how much it costs to commute and park every day, as well as any other work-related expenses. Now consider how much all those expenses amount to in pre-tax income. Be aware whether the benefits you get from working a little extra are worth the extra financial cost.
- Time to downsize or relocate? Where and how you live can be an important factor determining the kind of work you can do while you’re retired. Downsizing to a smaller residence or moving to a new locale may be a good strategy to pursue a new kind of work and a different lifestyle.
- Focus on your deeper purpose. Use your retirement as an opportunity to find work you enjoy and that adds value to your life. Choose a job that expresses your talents and interests, and that provides a place where your experiences are valued by others.
Rabalais Business Consulting is Acadiana’s Small Business Survival Specialists firm based in Lafayette, LA, offering specialized business and accounting services to small businesses in the traditional sector.
Our team of highly trained professionals possesses the expertise and experience to provide clients with a comprehensive range of services, including accounting, tax planning and preparation, financial planning, business consulting, retirement planning and more.
At Rabalais Business Consulting, our primary objective is to help businesses achieve their financial goals by optimizing their financial performance, minimizing their tax liabilities, and protecting their hard-earned wealth. We achieve this by working collaboratively with our clients to develop customized solutions that align with their unique business objectives.
Our approach to business consulting is tailored to the specific needs of each client. We believe that every business is unique, and therefore requires a customized strategy to achieve its goals. We take the time to get to know our clients and their businesses, so that we can identify opportunities for growth, mitigate risks, and develop strategies to optimize their financial performance.
Our team of professionals possess a wealth of knowledge and experience in a variety of industries. We are committed to staying up-to-date with the latest industry trends and regulations, so that we can provide our clients with the most relevant and effective advice and solutions.
At Rabalais Business Consulting, we are passionate about helping our clients achieve their financial objectives. Whether you are a small business owner looking to minimize your tax liabilities or a company seeking to optimize your financial performance, we are here to help.
Thank you for considering Rabalais Business Consulting for your business needs. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you and help your business achieve its full potential.