Pull Your Property Taxes Back Down to Earth
Higher property tax bills have accompanied the rising market values of homes over the past several years. If your property taxes have reached the stratosphere, here are some tips to knock them back down to earth.
What is happening
Property taxes typically lag the market. In bad times, the value of your home goes down, but the property tax is slow to show this reduction. In good times, property taxes go up when you buy your new home, but these higher prices quickly impact those that do not plan to move.
To make matters worse, you can only deduct up to $10,000 in taxes on your federal tax return. That figure includes all taxes – state income, property and sales taxes combined! Here are some suggestions to help reduce your property tax burden.
What you can do
Your best bet is usually to approach your local tax assessor and ask for a property revaluation. Here are some ideas to cut your property tax bill by reducing your home’s appraised value.
- Do some homework to understand the approval process to get your property revalued. It is typically outlined on your property tax statement.
- Understand the deadlines and adhere to them. Most property tax authorities have strict deadlines. Miss one deadline by a day and you are out of luck.
- Do some research BEFORE you call your assessor. Talk to neighbors and honestly assess the amount of disrepair your property may be in versus other comparable properties in your neighborhood. Call a few real estate professionals. Tell them you would like a market review of your property. Try to choose a professional that will not overstate the value of your home hoping to get a listing, but who will show you comparable sales for your area. Then find comparable sales in your area that defend a lower valuation.
- Look at your property classification in the detailed description of your home. Often times errors in this code can overstate the value of your home. For example, if you live in a condo that was converted from an apartment, the property’s appraised value could still be based on a non-owner occupied rental basis. Armed with this information, approach the assessor seeking first to understand the basis of the appraisal.
- Ask for a review of your property. Position your request for a review based on your research. Do not fall into the assessor trap of defending your review request without first having all the information on your property. Meet the assessor with a specific value in mind. Assessors are so used to irrational arguments, that a reasonable approach is often readily accepted.
While going through this process, remember to be aware of the pressure these taxing authorities are under. This understanding can help temper your position and hopefully put you in a better position to have your case heard.
Rabalais Business Consulting is Acadiana’s Small Business Survival Specialists firm based in Lafayette, LA, offering specialized business and accounting services to small businesses in the traditional sector.
Our team of highly trained professionals possesses the expertise and experience to provide clients with a comprehensive range of services, including accounting, tax planning and preparation, financial planning, business consulting, and more.
At Rabalais Business Consulting, our primary objective is to help businesses achieve their financial goals by optimizing their financial performance, minimizing their tax liabilities, and protecting their hard-earned wealth. We achieve this by working collaboratively with our clients to develop customized solutions that align with their unique business objectives.
Our approach to business consulting is tailored to the specific needs of each client. We believe that every business is unique, and therefore requires a customized strategy to achieve its goals. We take the time to get to know our clients and their businesses, so that we can identify opportunities for growth, mitigate risks, and develop strategies to optimize their financial performance.
Our team of professionals possess a wealth of knowledge and experience in a variety of industries. We are committed to staying up-to-date with the latest industry trends and regulations, so that we can provide our clients with the most relevant and effective advice and solutions.
At Rabalais Business Consulting, we are passionate about helping our clients achieve their financial objectives. Whether you are a small business owner looking to minimize your tax liabilities or a company seeking to optimize your financial performance, we are here to help.
Thank you for considering Rabalais Business Consulting for your business needs. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you and help your business achieve its full potential.